When to get insurance cover in South Africa

The ideal time to take out car, home, personal goods or any other type of short term insurance is when you have something of value that would cost money to replace if it got stolen or damaged.

Why do I need short term insurance?

There are a number of reasons for taking out short term insurance.

1. Cover for theft or loss

Unless you have plenty of cash lying around to replace items that have been lost, stolen or damaged quickly, you need short term insurance of some kind. You can opt for an “all cover” type of insurance that covers all risk to your car and your home contents or with specific and separate cover such as car insurance or house, building and home contents insurance. You can also specify insurance for personal portable possessions such as cell phones and laptops.

2. Cover for accidents

Accidents can happen in a blink of an eye. You take your eyes off the road for a second or two and the next thing you know you’ve bumped the car in front of you. Having insurance means being able to pay for the damage. There are three types of car insurance options on offer in South Africa.

  • Comprehensive car insurance covers your own vehicle as well as the third party. It also covers your vehicle for theft or fire.
  • Third party, fire and theft car insurance covers your car being stolen or damaged in a fire as well as damage to someone else’s car or property.
  • Third party only car insurance covers damage to another car.

3. Cover against natural disasters

There has been no shortage of natural disaster damage to homes in South Africa. Think of the hail in Johannesburg, rain and flood damage in Kwazulu-Natal and wind or fire in the Cape. Having homeowners insurance gives you peace of mind when it comes to replacing what you have lost due to fire, theft or natural disasters. Homeowners insurance provides structural buildings insurance while household insurance covers the contents of your home.

How much short term insurance do I need?

That depends on what you want to insure and what you can afford. Consider the different options available to you:

  • Do you want affordable car insurance that offers comprehensive cover or just third party / fire and theft?
  • Do you want to protect the contents of your home and/or insurance for the structure of your house?
  • How about cover for your valuables for example: cell phone, laptop, motorcycle, bicycle and jewellery?
  • Legal and personal liability cover protects you against being sued for damages.

Get a car, home or travel insurance quote

Why Old Mutual?


For over 170 years, we have been passionately helping our customers achieve their goals. We'd like the opportunity to do the same for you.


We have a variety of short-term insurance policies to meet your need whether it's car, house, valuables, business or even farm insurance.


We offer competitive benefits and value-added services to ensure you are getting the best deal.

Old Mutual short term insurance products

Get insurance cover online via iWYZE Insurance and by means of Old Mutual Insure Financial Advisers.

Please select your preferred channel:

Old Mutual Insure

Consult an Adviser
0860 22 55 63

If you prefer to speak to an adviser about short term insurance options for your car, home, travel, business or even your farm then please visit Old Mutual Insure.


Buy online or call iWYZE on
0860 63 33 39

If you’re more of a do-it-yourself person looking for car or home insurance then get a quote and purchase online through iWYZE Insurance.


flooded lounge
Protecting your home
happy driver
5 reasons why you need car insurance