What is Old Mutual Gap Cover?Ever been faced with a medical bill that your medical aid did not fully cover? Old Mutual's Gap Cover is the affordable answer to those unexpected expenses. It pays the gap between what your medical aid covers and what hospitals and specialists charge.
Sometimes that gap is five times more than your medical aid rate and can leave you worrying about money when you should be focusing on getting better.
- Old Mutual Gap Cover pays up to 5 times (or 500%) the medical aid rate
- Cover your immediate family up to 7 members, - without increasing your premium
- Family members on different medical aids can be covered by a single Gap Cover policy
Unless you're a robot, you will probably need medical treatment at some point. Often, your medical expenses will exceed your medical aid rate. Without Gap Cover, you'll have to pay the difference yourself.
Old Mutual Gap Cover is additional insurance - a top up that boosts your existing coverage. It helps pay for shortfalls in costs related to hospitalisation for accidents and illness, or medical procedures such as chemotherapy, radiotherapy, oncology and joint replacements.
- Each medical aid decides what they think is a reasonable amount to pay for each medical procedure. If the bill goes above that, they ask either the patient or their Gap Cover insurance provider to pay the rest.
- No. If your medical aid doesn't cover a specific procedure, then Gap Cover won't cover that procedure either.
No. Old Mutual Gap Cover isn't a medical aid and so the cover is not the same as that of a medical aid. This policy is not a substitute for medical aid membership. It's important to note that the Gap Cover cannot be used in conjunction with a medical insurance product.